Here it is–the official (sort of) Thanksgiving Menu for this year:
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Gravy (“No fried turkey this year?” No, I thought roasted turkey breast would be good. “Oh. Can we have ham, too?” Sigh.)
- Pecan Studded Wild Rice (boy–>”We’re not having mac and cheese?!” hubby–> “What about the mashed potatoes? What do we put the gravy on?” I guess I could make some of those, too.)
- Steamed Green Beans (“Oh.” I could make lima beans, too, if you want. “Only if you want to.”)
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Streusel (“Okay.”)
- Apple-Cranberry Sauce (“Oh, that’s really good.”)
- Cornbread-Sausage Stuffed Apples (No words, just drool.)
- Mesclun Greens with Cider Vinaigrette (Nodding.)
- Dinner Rolls (boy–>”Yeah!”)
- Iced Tea (We do live in the the South after all.)
- Some sort of Punch (“What about lemonade, too?” Nah, that’s more summery. I was thinking some sort of punch would be good. Something with cranberry juice.)
- Pumpkin Crunch Cheesecake Pie (“I’d sample that.”)
- Deep Dish Apple Pie with Cornmeal Crust & Caramel Sauce (“Are you going to try a new pie crust?” No, I just hope to be better at making the old one.)
- Upside Down Pecan Pie (“You don’t have a cast iron skillet.” I’ll figure it out.)
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (“Okay.”)
- Spiced Whipped Cream (More drool.)
Suffice it to say, I have to take stock of the pantry and freezer, then make some grocery lists. I already have a wonderful onion pork sausage in the freezer for the stuffed apples. My dad brought it back for me from Four Oaks Farm. Now that my folks have moved closer to us, I’ll have to find excuses to make a trip to get some of their products. I was thrilled to see that they have a website from which you can order things. They have no idea who I am; I just think their things are absolutely delicious!
I’m hoping my mother-in-law brings her Pineapple Bake (otherwise known as Pineapple Gratin) and her Asparagus Casserole.
Overall, I’m looking at 20 different dishes.
No wonder I’m getting a head start on this planning thing.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I’ll probably try to use this thing again.